With the fashion world buzzing with new trends, our cubicle lifestyle needn’t be boring and monotonous with the same old button-ups and formals. Firstly, it’s important to fully understand what is considered appropriate in your organisation/industry. Secondly, what use is fashion at work if it obstructs your efficiency?
Avoid these 9 fashion faux pas to glide through your work week effortlessly!
- Bare Legs: You are sexy and you know it, but don’t be a distraction at work. Short hemlines, tall heels, plunging necklines are all super fine and dandy but sometimes you need to run to match with your boss’s sense of urgency and these fashion choices come in the way. Do not discredit yourself by dressing in something that is too provocative or restricts your mobility.
- Make up: You are talented, skilled and going to go places, so don’t let overdone makeup divert your bosses & colleagues attention away from your professional awesomeness. Stick to minimal, natural, fuss-free makeup and exude im-totally-in-control vibes. Save the Huda beauty tutorials for the weekends! (Oh how we love ‘em!)
- Too many accessories: Over-accessorizing at workplace can make you look, umm, tacky! However if done right, jewelry can transform your look from basic to boom. Style yourself up with accessories that complement and not overpower your outfit. Avoid the sparkly, dangling, noisy variety. We’d vote for over-sized studs or statement rings. Save the flash for after-hours.
- Keep your straps under wraps: Alright we all love our sultry lingerie but to show it off at workplace is completely inappropriate. It gives out the impression of you being either an attention-seeker or sloppy which is the last thing you would want to look like in a professional environment. Knock down the sex appeal while you’re dwelling the cubicle…think racer-back? halter? strapless?
- Dress right under your whites: Wearing white is a sartorial challenge and to look easy-breezy & not sleazy you got to choose the right inner-wear. For a seamless look, ditch undergarments with ruffles & frills and opt for simple lines & neutral shades. A color closest to your skin tone works the best.
- Avoid wrinkled clothing: You don’t want to look like an unprofessional slob at work. Unironed wrinkled clothing gives out the impression of you being lackluster, uninspiring and unserious about life. Opt for crisp, structured fabrics instead and save your flimsy, crumpled pieces for lazy Sundays.
- Casual Fridays:We all love Friday feels when you know the work week is almost over and it’s time to indulge in debaucherous weekend fun. Not just yet folks! Though the casual nature of the last working day of the week might tempt you to shake things up a bit, it doesn’t mean wearing ripped clothing. Dress down or try new outfit combinations like a lightweight dress with chic flats, but remember you’re still at work and can be called for a meeting anytime!
- Wet hair catastrophe: Never ever enter your workplace with wet hair especially if it’s not pouring outside. Reason: if you don’t have your life together how the heck would you convince your boss that you have your career together?
- The Bag: Bags do not only let you store your daily must-haves but can also amp up your outfit. Select a bag which is simple, functional and clean, without making a show of your personal belongings. Most importantly go for the one that matches your personality. Neutral shades like black, tan or burgundy are the perfect pick. Add a scarf, charm or pop accessory for an extra zing.
Let us reiterate – dressing for success leads to success. If there’s even a teeny weeny voice in your head insisting you to reconsider your #lookoftheday and you’re thinking if it’s too cluttered, revealing, colorful or over the top then it most likely is. Take charge and do something about it.